Thursday, April 30, 2015

April 27th - 30th

The kids' energy levels are rising right along with the temperatures this week, which makes me happy to be working with such mature mentors. Most of them are doing a wonderful job of keeping the mentees focused and working, though I have had to speak with a few kids to remind them that school isn't over, yet.

Monday, the mentors and I began our first round of interviews for next year. Each candidate was asked to answer five questions, four of which were posed by current mentors. Everybody was very serious during the process and I'm excited to meet with the next round of candidates. So far, I've received more than forty applications, as well as dozens of teacher recommendations. Next week, the mentors and I will meet with more applicants and speak with the students referred by teachers.

The bulk of class time was spent working on our YESS Superheroes. As usual, I'm impressed with the students' creativity and workmanship. For this assignment, they were asked to identify which EmoDwarfs and Hot Buttons they fall victim to most often and invent a superhero that can help them overcome their issues. Take a look at their efforts below:




No comments:

Post a Comment