Monday, October 13, 2014

October 6th - 10th

Life at Scott Carpenter was wonderful this week! I distributed acceptance letters/permission slips to most of the mentors and many of the kids have returned signed slips already. Tracie, Holly, and I also worked hard to get a rough draft of the student workbook completed. It's not pretty yet, but the content is in place. The big news, though, is that I was able to upgrade my classroom situation! My new room has lots of natural light, a flat floor, 5 Chrome Books, 2 student computers, a projector, and a television with DVD/VCR combo!


Happily, it only took 10 minutes to move all my stuff. Why? Because the choir director allowed me to borrow her students, each of whom took a box of supplies. Thanks to that teacher, I was able to focus my energies on setting the room up the way I wanted. Now, I'm working on getting the big stack of old supplies removed and requesting some more student desks. Needless to say, I'm thrilled to be in this new space.

There were a few more students who submitted mentor applications this week, so I'll be interviewing them this week. I've also got some more acceptance letters to pass out and will be contacting some parents who are interested in learning more about the program.

Holly, Tracie, and I will be taking turns going to the YESS office to format the workbook this week, too. Formatting is tedious, but I'm excited to get the workbook ready for print!

Last, but not least, I'm looking forward to going to a training in Boulder on Thursday, which will be led by Carlo. Can't wait to learn some of the core YESS lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment