Friday, October 3, 2014

September 29th - October 3rd


The interview process really picked up this week and I went from only having 20 mentors to 40! There are still kids turning in their applications, so I'll be completing a few more interviews on Monday and Tuesday. When it's all said and done, I believe I'll have approximately 45 great kids to work with. 


The teachers at Scott are currently voting to approve the existence of a YESS class, as per Adams 50's protocol. I've developed a good rapport with many of the teachers and administrators, so I'm confident the class will be strongly supported. Since everything is going smoothly in that regard, the next step is adjusting students' schedules to accommodate this new class. I'm in the process of creating a spreadsheet with the kids' information and will be meeting with the guidance counselors next week to review what changes may be made.

With luck, I'll be starting with the mentors the first week of November and I'll be teaching 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th hours (with a little lunch duty during 4th). To prepare for this new phase of the program, I have begun deciding what routines I want to implement during a typical day in the YESS classroom, as well as what skills I would like to sharpen with the mentors. I'm really looking forward to getting some student work on the walls, despite this beautiful banner, provided by Helen. :-)


Next week, I'll be wrapping up the interview process, working on schedule changes with the guidance counselors, and continuing to work on lessons and activities for the mentors. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment