Thursday, September 18, 2014

September 15th - 19th

My second week at Scott Carpenter has been a busy one!

On Monday, I tabled outside the lunchroom and distributed well over 100 mentor applications to interested students. I also introduced myself and the program to a student leadership class called WEB (Where Everyone Belongs) and hung signs around the school to remind students to complete/submit their applications.




Tuesday morning, I was able to speak with the staff as a group to explain the program and how I intend to help their students. I'm pleased to report that the staff has been extremely supportive and have suggested around 50 kids who could be stellar mentors. So far, I haven't received as many applications from students as I had anticipated, so I'm grateful for the teacher recommendations.

Because I'm planning to have the mentors start class prior to the mentees, I've been working on a series of lessons and activities to complete with them. We'll be doing a lot of team building and leadership activities, which I hope will provide a solid foundation for them as they guide their mentees. Sarah also suggested some service learning projects and, as luck would have it, I received an email this morning about Pennies for Patients, which looks like an excellent opportunity for the mentors to work together for a good cause.

Holly, Tracie, and I will be assisting with a golf outing, hosted by the District 50 Education Foundation and the Hyland Hills Foundation, on Friday to build community support for the program. It's going to be a great way to round out the week and we're very excited to connect with community members and Adams 50 alumni!


No comments:

Post a Comment