Friday, September 12, 2014

September 8th - 12th

Greetings from Room 309! My name is Sara Sankovich and I am the YESS Institute program director at Scott Carpenter Middle School.

I've been taking breaks from creating lesson plans and meetings by decorating the classroom, which is really starting to come together.




 

 
I've been lucky to be able to do lunch duty several times this week, which has afforded me an opportunity to get the kids excited about the program. Unfortunately, I haven't had an opporunity to do any tabling due to other obligations. Monday is the day!
 
Mr. Evans, the assistant principal, has been extremely supportive and has introduced me to the teacher who coordinates the WEB class, a course designed for student leaders. All these students are in 8th grade and many have overcome large hurdles in their young lives.
 
On Wednesday, Holly, Tracie, and I learned that Adams 50 requires any new course to be accompanied by an approved description. This seems to be a simple formality due to the course catalogue used by the district when creating students' schedules. Thankfully, The YESS Institute's curriculum is strongly aligned with the standards and learning objectives used by Adams 50, so it didn't take us long to complete the paperwork and submit it to Tony.
 
Yesterday and today (Friday), I met with Mr. Evans to discuss class schedules and recruitment efforts. He has been working with the guidance counselors to make sure everything is on track for mentors to start classes in mid-to-late October.
 
I had a great week and I'm looking forward to collecting applications in the coming days!


No comments:

Post a Comment