Friday, September 26, 2014

September 22nd - 26th

This was another fabulous week at Scott Carpenter! I continued to collect recommendations from teachers, who have suggested nearly 30 students as mentors for the program. I've really appreciated the support shown by the administrators and teachers.

I began interviewing applicants this week, as well. Of the 15 students I spoke with, 12 of them are perfect candidates and 2 are strong possibilities. Even though many of the students were nervous about being interviewed, they did a great job of answering my questions, which included:
- What does mentoring mean to you?
- Why do you want to be a mentor?
- What is the most difficult choice you've ever had to make and how did you arrive at your decision?
Some of the students are facing unenviable situations regarding divorcing parents, bullying, and immigration, but are handling those difficulties with grace and will make excellent mentors.

Next week, I'll be chatting with the students suggested by the teachers and continuing the interview process. I'm really looking forward to speaking with all these students!

No comments:

Post a Comment